NATIONAL NEWS: Lone terrorist attack in Ohio, Zika illness prompts emergency measures, Natural gas blowout in California plugged

RACHEL RANDER
STAFF WRITER

Possible lone wolf terror attack in Ohio

Federal authorities are investigating a possible lone wolf terrorist attack in Ohio, according to Fox News. Columbus police have identified Mohammad Barry, 30, as the person who entered a restaurant Thursday night with a machete and injured four. He was later killed by police. FBI investigators have not found evidence that the attack was prompted by the Islamic State or another terror organization but are considering the possibility that Barry was inspired by terrorist propaganda. The investigation started when Columbus police realized that Barry’s car had been flagged by authorities, and they called in anti-terrorism officials. The FBI is looking into Barry’s background, including travel records and online presence.

To read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/13/sources-fbi-investigating-ohio-machete-attack-as-possible-lone-wolf-terror-act.html?intcmp=hpbt2.

Zika concerns prompt emergency proclamation

Hawaii Gov. David Ige signed an emergency proclamation regarding Zika and other mosquito borne illnesses Friday, reported CNN. Ige said that the proclamation is a “preventative measure” to protect the people against not only Zika, but other illnesses such as dengue fever, which has been seen on the island. The governor said that currently no Americans have contracted Zika in Hawaii and that the emergency proclamation will help to keep it that way. The same cannot be said for dengue fever, which has been contracted in the state, although the cases are becoming less common. The Zika virus has been causing concern because of its fast spreading nature.

 For Further reading: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/13/us/hawaii-governor-zika-emergency/index.html.

California gas blowout finally plugged

A natural gas well blowout in Los Angeles was plugged Thursday. The leak lasted for 16 weeks and drove thousands of local residents from their homes, according to Fox News. The leak was first reported on Oct. 23, and this is the first time that it has been under control since then. Southern California Gas Company said that while the leak still needs to be permanently sealed and inspected by state regulators, it is safe and under control. The cost of the leak is estimated to be somewhere between $250 million and $300 million, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission. As many as 6,400 families were uprooted in the event.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/12/workers-cap-massive-gas-leak-plaguing-los-angeles-area-neighborhood.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *